Ok, I have been really bad with updating this blog. I realized that when I went to look through my pictures and found these muffins, which I made back when I was still doing my new years resolution of eating healthy. Clearly I gave that up about a month ago! But one recipe that I am still going to make is this one – these healthy (93 calories per muffin!) treats are surprisingly delicious and alleviated some of that guilt I feel each time I bake.
Applesauce Oatmeal Muffin
(recipe from sparkrecipes.com)
- 1 cup old fashion rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. sugar
- raisins or nuts (optional)
- Soak the oats in milk for about one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the oat mixture with the applesauce and egg whites, and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl measure and whisk the dry ingredients together.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. Add nuts or raisins if desired.
- Do not over mix the batter or the muffins will be tough. Spoon muffin mixture into muffin pan.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar and top each muffin with some of the mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done.
- Remove from pan, cool and enjoy.
- These can be frozen and reheated in the microwave for a quick breakfast.
Makes 12 healthy and delicious muffins!